Started by unscrewing the back and removing the memo board. That is for a different project (interested? Keep following and you'll find out soon enough!) I also took off the bottom so I could: 1) paint it and get in the little cubbies better. 2) pop out one of the dividers so instead of three compartments, there is one big one and one small one.
After a bit of deconstruction, I applied a flat white spray paint all over. I did two coats so that no brown was showing through. While it was drying, I cut a piece of cardboard to fit in place of the memo board and covered it in burlap-my first ever project with burlap! I'm hooked! Sorry there aren't pictures of this part. I got so carried away with what I was doing, I forgot to take some!
Once the paint was dry, I put it all back together and sanded the edges to give it a worn look. Then I attached three tea cup hooks to the bottom to hang keys on.
Took it home and hung it up! Yeah, yeah, I know, it's on a white wall, but that's where it hangs for now. Once we have a house, that won't be the case.
Anyways, I really like it! I came out exactly how I hoped. And now I have a place to keep my mail and such organized! I'm all about being fashionably organized : ) And it cost me next to nothing. Here's the break-down:
Organizer-$5 at Goodwill
White paint-already had it!
Sandpaper-6 large sheets for $2, I only used one to rough this up
Burlap-$3 for one yard, I used a 9 x 14 piece to cover the board
Tea cup hooks-$3 for 50!! And I only used 3!
I'm linking up at:
Be sure to check back tomorrow-I have a BIG announcement that I'm way excited about!!!!