Tuesday, May 17, 2011

{Hand-made Goodie of the Week} Paper Flower Wreath Embellishment

If you weren't able to get over to She Wears Flowers last week to see what I shared with Tammy's readers, here's what you missed:

 Last fall, I made my first ever wreath.  If you've been following along for a while, you might remember it.


When spring finally rolled around, I wanted to make a pretty little something for my wreath, and since to me, flowers scream spring, I made an embellishment out of paper flowers.


Pretty and simple.  To make your own, you'll need:


Paper-I used scrapbook paper and some book pages for mine
Something to cut circles with-you could find something to trace or use a hole punch.  I used this handy-dandy gadget that I picked up a Michael's a while back.  It's by ek.
Glue


You're going to begin by cutting out 20 circles per flower for the petals.  Decide how big you'd like them.  For my small flower made out of book pages, I made each petal 1 inch.  Using my handy-dandy circle cutter, I cut out 20.


Then gently rolled them around a toothpick to curve them, like so.


Then I cut out a 2 in. circle to use as a base.  Start gluing your petals to your base as pictured above.


Slightly overlap them a bit.  Once you've come full circle,


Add your next ring of petals, gluing them down so that the top of the inner ring is just about the base of the outer ring. Repeat until you reach the middle.


Taking 3 of your remaining petals, cut them into leaf-like shapes.  Then arrange them in the very center of your flower.


Ta-da!  Repeat with the rest of your flowers.  For my larger flowers, I made the petals 2 inches and the base 4 inches.


Since they were going to be hung outside, I wanted to protect them from getting ruined.  I coated them with a clear protective spray.  I found this at Michael's.


Let them dry completely.  Then arrange them how you'd like them on your wreath, glue together where they over-lap and attach.  For mine, since the embellishments are interchangeable, I attached two pieces of velcro to the backs (you can find out more about that in the original tutorial.)


Hang and enjoy!


I'm really happy with how it turned out.  It adds a nice touch of spring to our front door.


Now my front door is all dressed up and ready for spring!

1 comment:

  1. This is so cute! I love the impact the flowers have. So many good projects can be made with scrapbook paper!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! They make my day :)

If you have questions, please email me
scrapsnscribs@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...