Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hand-made Goodie of the Week: Interchangeable Wreath

 

Interchangeable Wreath


It all started with this wreath.  I've had it for a few months and it's just been sitting in my closet because I've been indecisive about what I wanted to do with it.  I didn't want to "commit" it to one look.  So I racked my brain and came up with a way to make it interchangable!  And since fall is right around the corner, I decided to start off with a fall-ish look.


I made several different kinds of burlap flowers.  This one I ruffled by sewing a line down the center, 


Then gathered it tight.


I formed it into a circle and stitched it together so it wouldn't come apart. 


I also made a few rolled flowers by cutting a strip of burlap about 1/2 inch wide, folded it in half and rolled it.


Then stitched the bottom.


I also made some orange burlap rosettes and some layered "flowers" out of the tan and orange burlap.


Here comes the "interchangeable" part: I then arranged them how I wanted on the wreath then moved them onto a piece of brown felt and hot glued them in place.  Then I trimmed the felt around the outline of the arrangement. 


I then cut two half inch pieces of velcro.


I hot glued the loop (fuzzy) side to the back of the felt.


And hot glued the hook (rough plastic) side onto the wreath.  Then I attached the felt piece onto the wreath.

There you go!  I've got a lovely fall wreath that I can change out when the idea strikes.


Here are some of the other embellishments I've made for my wreath:






I was inspired by this cute burlap wreath by Jen from Tatertots and Jello-go check hers out!  

I'm linking up to the usual parties (see the right sidebar) as well as the CSI Project's Fall challenge. 

30 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I love that you can change out the embellishments!!

    xox
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! This would cut down on having to store so many different seasonal wreaths.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is what I've been looking for. I've had a grapevine wreath waiting for commitment for weeks. Thanks for sharing a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! Wreaths are such fun decorations, but I hate trying to find a place to store all of them if you have them for different seasons. This is a perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea I like the interchangeable part!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea...I have often thought it would be neat to have one wreath, but many different decorations for that wreath. It would take up so much less space! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! I love that you can make something beautiful without having to fully commit to it. (I def have that problem sometimes!) Your burlap flowers are gorgeous, I feel inspired to make my own now. Thanks for sharing your wonderful idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great! I love the colors and that fact that it is versatile if fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great idea! So much better than making a new wreath for each season!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the 'interchangeable' part! What a great tip! Visiting from Someday Crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very pretty! Thank you for linking to my party!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome idea! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the idea of an interchangeable wreath. Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooohhh with fall coming up soon I think a lot of us are looking for new ideas for our front door. I would be very flattered if you would share this post on my very first Linky party at BeColorful.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome idea! Interchangeable things are so smart and (save so much money.) Can you imagine having to have a different wreath for every occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic concept! I love it! And all of your decorations for the wreath are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Awesome idea! This is really creative and practical. It makes it so much easier to change it up!

    ReplyDelete
  18. HOW CLEVER AND CUTE. Love that its removable for other cute ones you make and do. So very cute. Thanks so much for linking it. WELL DONE. jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful idea. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this idea! I have one of those wreaths and hated to commit it to just one holiday/season. This will be great and what a great way to use up my scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Haha, I guess I have to say that great minds think alike, or at least that I am a commitment-phobe like you. I did this exact same thing to my favorite wreath a couple of months ago. I LOVE being able to switch it out with just a little felt, and only put velcro on the wreath.

    ReplyDelete
  22. That's a really clever idea! You can have a "new" wreath for each season without having to store a half dozen wreaths somewhere else in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  23. That's so cute! I love how you used a variety of styles of flowers, and that you can change it out for different seasons, holidays... anything really. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is such a great idea I'm stealing it! I'm starting a reuse challenge on my blog on the 29th and would like to use this as an example if that is ok with you. Let me know

    Amber
    lifelovegreen@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great idea! You are too clever!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Very nice! Love that fact that it can be changed out!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is such a cute idea! I really love the last one!

    Melissa
    http://www.burstsofcreativity.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. How cute! I love your different arrangments.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! They make my day :)

If you have questions, please email me
scrapsnscribs@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...