Friday, February 26, 2010

Fashion Fridays: Anthro-Inspired Striped Ruffle Tee (and tutorial!)

I am so excited to share this project with you!  A while back, I was cruising through the Anthropoligie website (as I do to drool over all of their lovely things) and I came across this shirt.
How cute is this?!  But it was on the pricey side (duh!  It's Anthropologie!)  Then I thought to myself, I could make that!  Thus the hunt for black and grey striped shirt ensued.  Remember the striped shirt from my post yesterday?  This is what it was for.



To make one for yourself, you'll need:

A striped shirt
Knit fabric to match (I did my ruffles in black, left over from my ruffle tee makeover)
Needle and thread to match your fabric
Fabric scissors, measuring tape, straight pins and seam ripper (just in case)



First thing I did was take off the little pocket on the front of the shirt-it was right where part of my ruffle was to go.   Then, using the Anthro pic as a guide, I measured how long my ruffle would need to be.  Each one was 28 inches long.  



Next, I cut out 8 strips of black fabric, 1 in. wide and 13 1/2 inches long.  I used 4 sewn together for each long ruffle.



I sewed 4 of the strips, end to end, to get one long strip as pictured above.



Then I sewed big stitches down the center of the strip.  Next, I pulled the thread to gather the fabric, cinching it to measure 28 in. long.


  
Evened out the ruffles and then pinned them in place (again, using the picture as a guide.)



Sew down the middle to secure to your shirt.



Repeat on other side.



And volia!  You have your very own Anthro knock-off :)  I'm hoping to get some better pics of the finished product this weekend-it was dark when I finished and my photographer wasn't feeling all that great (we've got a cold going around our house-right now, we're all pretty icky feeling.)

Hope you enjoyed that!  Happy Friday!

I'm linking up at









Beyond The Picket Fence

18 comments:

  1. very cute! I definitely want to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. SO VERY CUTE! Thanks for tutorial. I am goign to be visiting often!

    Happy Friday Follow.

    Holly
    www.504main.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really cute! I'm totally stealing it, I'll put up what I did on my blog next week.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cute--I bet it is super flattering on! Thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously- Awesome! I am learning how to sew, thanks for the lovely tutorial! Adorable blog by the way!!

    Courtney @ Red Heads Craft More Fun

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! My oldest daughter is going to want this! Great job, you did. I am loving the new header too!
    ~Gay~
    itsahodgepodgelife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness you made that? It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just tweeted this to share the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such a cute shirt! Thanks for linking up to check me out saturdays! www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at that! What a great project. I love your version. Such a great job!!!

    Thanks for linking it up to my party!!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is super cute. You did a great job in explaining the instructions and documenting your steps. I know that this is easier said than done. Glad I found your blog.

    Sahm Queen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, great job! I'm very impressed with your sewing skills. Can't wait to see a pic on the model. ;) Hope you feel better soon! The cold bug seems to be sweeping the nation! (our family has it too!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful way to dress up a shirt! Great idea and great job you did. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it! I love sprucing up plain tees, that a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love it! Looks pretty much identical to Anthro! And it looks like a flattering shirt! Thanks for linking up with Sweet Charli this weekend! I loved looking at all your projects! I want to feature this next week so check back to see it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I looove this redo, Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. awesome project. thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! They make my day :)

If you have questions, please email me
scrapsnscribs@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...