Wednesday, April 11, 2012

{Blast from the Past} Photo Collage Star

This project is one of my faves and one I get asked about A LOT!  So here it is {again} for those of you who might have missed it the first time around.


A dear and super-crafty friend told me about this project back when we were looking for fun, hand-made presents for Christmas a few years' ago and we loved the idea so much, we decided to make ones for ourselves.  She found the idea over at Better Homes and Gardens but I have searched the site over and over again and I cannot for the life of me find it.  Since I couldn't find the original or a tutorial, I've made up one up based on how I did it so you can make your own!

You'll need:



-A large, metal star-preferably one without any embellishments.  You'll need a smooth surface to glue the pictures and paper to.  I found mine at Hobby Lobby, but you can find them at lots of craft stores and/or home decor stores.  (P.S. the red one above is NOT the one I used for my collage.  It's only pictured to give you an idea and it is the exact same size as the one I used.)
*The one that I used to create mine is 22 inches across.*


-Scrapbook paper in 3 coordinating prints (one sheet of each print should be PLENTY.)


-10 pictures-you will probably want to plan ahead which pictures will go where on your star so that you have the right orientation (I recommend black and white pictures if using colored scrapbook paper-it's a little too much with color photos AND color paper)
I used 4x6's for mine, but if you're using a larger star, you'll probably want a larger print.

-Glue stick-make sure it's acid-free and safe to use with photos (think scrapbooking glue)
Mod Podge and brush


-Paper and photo patterns-these fit the size and style star that I used, you may need to adjust them to fit whatever star you are using or if you want less of a border around your picture and paper pieces.  You can click on the picture to make it larger, then right-click it to download/save (print it as a regular letter-size sheet.)

How to make it:

Trace and cut out 10 paper shapes-one small and large from one piece of paper and 2 of each from the other two ("paper front" should be facing you when tracing your shapes on the paper.)


Then do the same with your pictures ("photo front" should be facing you when tracing shapes on photos.)  


Using your glue stick, glue the paper and pictures to each point.  Cover the entire back and make sure they are pressed down very firmly onto the star so that they don't bubble when you Mod Podge them.  The pattern that you cut only one of is the top point of the star and then alternate the remaining patterns on the other 4 points.




There should be a small border around each piece where the star shows through.
Once you have all of your pictures and paper glued on, apply a thin coat of Mod Podge over the entire star.  Make sure you get all the edges.  Allow 20 minutes to dry then apply another coat.



Hang and enjoy!






post signature

7 comments:

  1. I love this! I am totally kicking myself in the butt for not getting the star I saw at a yard sale recently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What size star did you use???

    ReplyDelete
  3. what size do you recommend the pictures be printed off in????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this! I'm going to try it. I always jump on the free prints from shutterfly.com but then end up with a bunch of photos that I don't know what to do with. :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been looking for something like this.I just love the star... Going to get my supplies today.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey all! Some of you asked about the size of the star and what size prints to use-sorry if that was hard to find in the post. The star that I used is 22 inches across. I used 4x6 prints for my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, I really like the idea.

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! They make my day :)

If you have questions, please email me
scrapsnscribs@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...