Saturday, February 13, 2010

Photo Collage Star Tutorial

This post has been updated.  You can see the new and improved post here.


My dear and crafty friend MyLyn told me about this project back when we were looking for fun, hand-made presents for Christmas this past year and I just loved it so much that I made one for myself.  She had come across it (somewhere) on the internet.  I looked and looked and could not find it.  So I've made up a little tutorial for you so you can make your own!

You'll need:



A large, metal star-preferably one without any embellishments.  You'll need a smooth surface to glue the pictures and paper to. I found mine at Hobby Lobby, but you can find them at lots of craft stores and/or home decor stores.  (P.S. the red one above is NOT the one I used for my collage.  It's only pictured to give you an idea and it is the exact same size as the one I used.) 


Scrapbook paper in 3 coordinating prints


10 pictures-you will probably want to plan ahead which pictures will go where on your star so that you have the right orientation (I recommend black and white pictures if using colored scrapbook paper-it's a little too much with color photos AND color paper)
Glue stick-make sure it's acid-free and safe to use with photos (think scrapbooking glue)
Mod Podge and brush


Paper and photo patterns.  You can click on the picture to make it larger, then right-click it to download/save.

Got all that?  Good.  Now let's get started.

Trace and cut out 10 paper shapes-one small and large from one piece of paper and 2 of each from the other two ("paper front" should be facing you when tracing your shapes on the paper.)


Then do the same with your pictures ("photo front" should be facing you when tracing shapes on photos.)  


Using your glue stick, glue the paper and pictures to each point.  Cover the entire back and make sure they are pressed down very firmly onto the star so that they don't bubble when you Mod Podge them.  The pattern that you cut only one of is the top point of the star and then alternate the remaining patterns on the other 4 points.  There should be a small border around each piece where the star shows through.


Once you have all of your pictures and paper glued on, apply a thin coat of Mod Podge over the entire star.  Make sure you get all the edges.  Allow 20 minutes to dry then apply another coat.


Hang and enjoy!









Check out more fun stuff at 


I linked up!

And....just in time for Valentine's Day-another awesome Lisa Leonard giveaway!  Go check it out!

28 comments:

  1. I love it! I've seen lots of modged podged stars but none with pics! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Courtney,
    It's so nice to meet you! Thank you very much for entering my LL giveaway, following along on my blog and also mentioning the giveaway here. You are so kind to this! I really appreciate it very much my friend.

    The star is beautiful. I can tell already I will be back to visit again soon for more inspiration from you. You have a gorgeous blog.

    Many blessing to you and yours. ~Melissa :)

    PS Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this on tatertots and jello and love it! I am thinking about making it for my future sister and brother and law for a wedding present

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your star! I love the photos on it - s adorable!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party!!!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool. What size star did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  6. And one other question... how did the edges get black? I am missing something simple, I'm sure.... but I can't figure it out :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chante- not sure how big it is, but when I get home, I'll measure it and get back to you. Also, the red star in the picture wasn't the one that I actually used. It was for demonstrative purposes only because I forgot to take a before picture of the star I used for my collage, but it is the same size as my star. The one that I actually used was black, hence the black edges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What size photos did you print out? I cropped some & printed them 4x6 & they don't seem to fit right.

      Delete
    2. Mine were 4x6. You might have to mess around with them a bit to make them fit. Also, if your star is a different size, then you'll have to adjust for that, so you might need to go up a print size if you have a bigger star or if you want more wiggle room for your template :)

      Delete
  8. Court- I found in on better homes and gardens! aka bhg.com

    www.myla-rose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! I have seen something similar to this, but not with pictues. This will be a great gift too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is SO darling!! I just stumbled upon your blog and love all your great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came over from your guest post on Cup of Delight. I love this idea!! Definitely going to be on the lookout for a star to begin creating.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just found your blog and I LOVE this!!! Our babysitter is getting married in May and if I can get some pictures from her mom I would love to make one of these for her!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Courtney, it was so great to see you featured over at 504 Main today!

    What a wonderful project! The color, patterns, dimensions, and meaningful photographs make for one sensational piece of home decor!

    Best,
    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  14. Where can you find a star? i would love to do this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great idea! Cannot wait to try with my kids! Thanks for sharing~

    ReplyDelete
  16. these stars are sold at hobby lobby and sometimes you can find them half off!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made one! thank you so much for posting this, because you did I have made one for my friend for her birthday. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the awesome idea! I looked EVERYWHERE for a larger metal star but was unsuccessful! I found a smaller cardboard star and made one for my sister with pictures of my 4 month old nephew! Turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What size star was it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find the dimensions in the updated tutorial here:

      http://scrapsnscribs.blogspot.com/2012/04/blast-from-past-photo-collage-star.html

      Delete
  20. Replies
    1. Hi Teresa! You can find the dimensions in the updated tutorial here:

      http://scrapsnscribs.blogspot.com/2012/04/blast-from-past-photo-collage-star.html

      Delete
  21. How did you get the patterns to fit the star? I clicked the picture and printed it.. but the pattern doesn't fit the star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christina!

      The pattern was made for the size star that I was using, so you may need to adjust them to fit your star. I made them so that there's a border around each, so that also may be why they seem to not fit.

      Delete
  22. what size is the star in these pictures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can find the dimensions in the updated tutorial here:

      http://scrapsnscribs.blogspot.com/2012/04/blast-from-past-photo-collage-star.html

      Delete

I ♥ your comments! They make my day :)

If you have questions, please email me
scrapsnscribs@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...