Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hand-made Goodie of the Week: Papered Monogram Letter




This is such an easy and cute craft.  It makes a great house-warming gift!  I had wanted one for FOREVER!  Then, I found this little wooden gem at Hobby Lobby for $1.50!  All the other letters I had been looking at were like $10!  How could I pass that up?!  It was just plain-jane white wood.  But, oh, the possibilities!

At first, I was going to paint it. I couldn't decide what color to do, how I wanted the end product to look, so it ended up sitting in my closet with my craft stuff for a good month.  Then, one day, when rummaging through my stock of scrapbook paper, I came across this cool pattern and thought, I HAVE to use this for something!  Anyone who knows me knows I love dots and this fit perfectly with the color scheme I have going in our family room.

To make your own, you'll need:

Letter-it can be wood, chip board, whatever you like, but it is best to have a smooth surface to glue the paper to
Scrapbook paper, or, you could even do this with fabric
Glue-if you're using paper, an acid-free glue stick works just fine.  For fabric, I'd recommend either hot glue or just some plain ol' Elmers
Mod Podge and brush
Pencil and utility knife or scissors

Here's what I did:

Lay the paper, pattern-side down, and then place the letter on top, back facing up towards you (I did it this way so I wouldn't have any lines showing on the front of my paper.)



Take your pencil and trace around the letter.  Then cut out with utility knife or scissors.  It's ok if the edges hang over a bit, we can trim it up after it's been Mod Podged.  Smear glue all over the entire back of the paper (or you can put the glue directly on your letter.  I actually did both so that it was very secure and wouldn't bubble when I put on the Mod Podge.)  Paint on one thin layer of Mod Podge, let dry for 20 minutes, then paint on a second layer.  Trim up any edges once second layer is completely dry.  Ta-da, you're done!  You can skip the Mod Podge step if you like-I wanted to seal mine and give it a textured look, but if that's not your cup of tea, that's alright by me!


Here's some other ways to create a cute and cool monogram:

Red Heads Craft More Fun shows you how to make this cute monogram out of jute!

Check out this cool monogram plaque over at Southern Hospitality 

 and there's this floral beauty over at bridalbuds.com

Happy monograming, all!

7 comments:

  1. Love that patterned paper! I also love these letters ~ I did a few myself where I painted some and some I did paper on. Such a great little accessory to add to your home decor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! I love your letter!!

    Thanks for linking it up to my party!!!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, modge podge...a dear friend of mine. I love your paper and the shape of the letter is too fun. Very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love all the ideas here. Now I have some letters and numbers to cut with my saw. Thank you so much oh creative one! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is really cute. I recently saw one with photos on it! I love the cute paper!

    ReplyDelete

I ♥ your comments! They make my day :)

If you have questions, please email me
scrapsnscribs@gmail.com

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...